Automation Rules help automate decisions about how and when to interact with your website visitors! With Automation Rules, you can:
- Block a problem visitor
- Hide the chatbox based on visitor location
- Send a message to visitors based on a marketing campaign
- Send automated messages to a visitor after an amount of time
- Show the chatbox on a specific page
- and much more!
As an alternative to chatbots, our Automation Rules use different actions based upon the logic that you define in a rule. Rules are written as If-then statements, so as you create them, try reading them out as sentences to make sure they make sense. For example, "WHEN any agent is available to chat, IF one of these conditions match and the number of visits to my site is more than 1, THEN send “Welcome back!"
If automation rules are not working as expected, it might be that your rules are conflicting, or that conditions are not specific enough. To troubleshoot, try checking:
Olark stores a lot of your custom settings in cookies that we deliver to the visitors. Should you make a new rule, and wish to test it right away, we recommend that you check your pages in an incognito session of your browser, or by clearing your cookies.
Matching at Least One Condition vs Matching all Conditions
When creating automation rules, there are two options:
- Execute the rule if just ONE of the conditions matches
- Execute the rule if EVERYTHING matches.
Be careful when selecting these, as choosing the wrong one may not produce the desired results.
Per Page Load vs. Per Site Visit vs. Per Unique Visitor
For the actions section, you’ll see 3 different choices in regards to how often we should fire these rules. They are:
- Per Site Visit - Should the conditions match correctly, this rule will execute only once per visit that this visitor makes to your site.
- Per Unique Visitor - Should the conditions match correctly, this rule will only ever execute one time for any unique visitor to your site, regardless of how many visits they make to your site.
- Per Page Load - Should the conditions match correctly, this rule will try to execute on every single page.
On our free plan, you’ll only be able to create one rule, and you cannot hide the chatbox. Upgrade your account to get full access to automation rules and all other premium features! Visit our pricing page to learn more about paid plans and premium features.
NOTE: Automation Rules cannot be used to expand the chat widget on mobile devices.