Are you a great fit for Olark?
- I love what I do.
- I want to work on something that people actually use.
- I like to talk to customers.
- I want a team for work and play.
Open Positions, and a Bit About Us
Where we’re at right now
Olark has been trail blazing in real-time customer service since 2009 - you’ve probably seen our chat window in the bottom right corner of many other websites. Behind our humble Olark box is a powerful idea: when businesses on the Internet give their customers a direct line to build a relationship, amazing things can happen.
We have a fantastic customer base that is growing at a solid clip. Our challenges range from timely delivery of millions of chat messages per week to making a beautiful user experience in both browsers and instant message clients.
We’re a distributed yet tight-knit team who work out of our offices in San Francisco (CA), Ann Arbor (MI), and New York city, with teammates in North Carolina, San Diego, Toronto, the UK, and Brazil. We are bootstrapped and profitable; our entire founding team is made up of second-time entrepreneurs. We highly value self-direction and independent thinking. We strive to simultaneously teach and learn from each other; we value your past experiences and what you would bring to the team.
- Work from one of our offices, a city rooftop, a café or your goat farm (no KIDding!)
- Use a standing desk, sit on an Aeron chair, or use a yoga ball, your choice
- Bring your pets to the office
- Get stuff done - we keep meetings to a minumum and respect your time. You manage your own schedule.
- Love our customers
- Make products that are usable, beautiful, and robust
- We hang out outside of work hours too! Share your weekend plans with colleagues in our group chat room
- Chill and grill after work hours or share your favorite recipe with us
- Company retreats have included bicycle winery tours, kayaking, floating down a river on an inner-tube, guitar-strumming, and board game competitions
What we expect from you
- You have written production code used by thousands of customers
- You love the idea of talking directly with customers
- You take pride in your work and have confidence making design decisions
Bonus points for experience with
- Deploying code that runs on 100s of thousands of websites.
- Building realtime UI to help businesses understand their customers.
- Designing UI that can be used on mobile, desktop, and web.
- Building APIs that help developers extend Olark accross multiple platforms.
- Everytime we make our product better we help 1000s of companies provide better service.
- Emplowering our customer service agents.
- Many hats to wear.
What you can expect when working with us
- Getting high fives from our customers when you run in to them in person and eating thank-you-cupcakes sent to our offices
- An emphasis on learning; we’ll help you attend (and hopefully present at) conferences
- Market rate engineering salary, depending on experience and such
- Equity, everyone in the company shares in our success
- Relocation benefits (or flying you out to get to know the team if you will be working remote)
- Team lunch every Friday
- Real responsibility of being an early employee
- The cachét of being a force for customer happiness across the globe
- Generous Health/Vision/Dental Benefits
- Vacation Bonus
- Profit Sharing
- All-inclusive annual retreats for you and your significant other
- Send us an email with a funny personal story and why you want to work at Olark
- Include your resume, portfolio, and github
In short, this is an opportunity to design and develop a hugely important and visible portion a product in a fun, dynamic, and supportive company. Here’s why we want you on our team…
- You think about the users first and foremost.
- You prioritize simple and robust solutions over technically complex ones and recognize that sometimes the best praise is when users don’t even notice your work.
- You constantly hone your methodology and love sharing it with others.
- You have exceptional skills for finding and executing small changes that make huge impact.
- You’re a perfectionist, but you still ship early and often along the way.
- You are an accomplished engineer and have shipped production code.
- You’re an expert with the tools of your craft and you could make your own front end framework if you wanted, but you know that’s probably a waste of time.
- You’re an accomplished interface designer with an attention to detail and obsession with beautiful design.
- Your portfolio = our jaws on the floor.
…and we need your help to solve exciting challenges:
We have well over 5000 customers and 50,000 people interacting with the system each day (orders of magnitude more see it each day). You’ll meet people that spend the majority of their workweek interacting with our interfaces. You’ll profoundly impact the lives of these people and face their undying praise (or scorn!) depending on your solutions. Your canvas will be the setup, management, and configuration portion of our product and we’ll give you the control you need to produce results.
We won’t tell you how to do it, but lets just say there are some unique challenges:
- Optimizing user flows that get people set up with 3rd party systems ( IM clients, CRMs, and others that require drastic context switches)
- Making our many features self-discoverable and and guiding our customers to adhere to best practices without forcing them to read a manual 100 pages long
- Constantly optimizing flows for getting entire teams involved in our product
- Developing intuitive configuration and smart defaults for our chat product (visual customization, behavior customization, language customization)
- Simplifying our front end stack so we can move more quickly
In all of these challenges, you should want to quantitatively and qualitatively measure the results…
If this sound like your cup of tea, joe, kombucha, wine, or beer, email us and include a link to your GitHub, Portfolio, and a zany story about your life.