Desktop Notifications (Olark Classic)
**NOTE: This help article was written for our Olark Classic chat console. Some things may not apply, may have moved, or may look different. For up to date chat console documentation, click here.
Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Microsoft Edge will each allow you to display desktop notifications when you receive a new chat. This is enabled through our Chat Console to better alert you when you have a new message! Once you're inside the Chat Console, click on the gear icon near the top-left corner of the screen. Near the bottom of the Preferences window, you'll be able to enable notifications.
If you are having issues setting up desktop notifications, it's possible that browser permissions have been denied for allowing us to show them. To check, use the guide below based on the browser you are using.
Google Chrome 31+
To ensure that Chrome is accepting incoming notifications from Olark:
- Click on the lock icon on the left side of your URL bar. Select Site settings near the bottom of the pop-up window
- On the Site settings page, scroll down to "Notifications", and select "Allow"
To Remove Olark Notifications in Chrome:
Visit your Chrome Notification Settings and find chat.olark.com. On the same row, click on the 3 vertical dots to reveal options to block, edit or remove Olark notifications:
Mozilla Firefox 28+
To ensure that Firefox is accepting incoming notifications from Olark:
- Visit the Firefox Privacy & Security section within Preferences.
- Scroll down the page until you find Permissions. Under Permissions, you'll want to click on Notifcations - Settings.
- When the Notification Settings box appears, make sure to click on https://chat.olark.com (our Chat Console), and select Allow:
To Remove Olark Notifications in Firefox:
Firefox notifications can be removed through the same section as referenced above. Visit the Firefox Privacy & Security section within your Firefox Preferences. Scroll down until you find Permissions, and click on Notifications - Settings:
Make sure to click the Save Changes button at the bottom right corner of the window after making any changes.
Apple Safari 7+
To ensure that Safari is accepting incoming notifications from Olark:
- Navigate to the Notifications section from the Safari Preferences panel at the top-right corner of your screen: Safari -> Preferences... -> Websites -> Notifications
- Make sure that Allow is selected for chat.olark.com:
To Remove Olark Notifications in Safari:
Safari notifications can be removed in the same section mentioned above. Navigate to the Notifications section from the Safari Preferences panel at the top-right corner of your screen: Safari -> Preferences... -> Websites -> Notifications. Make sure that you've selected chat.olark.com and use the Remove button near the bottom of the window to remove Olark notifications.
To ensure that Edge is accepting incoming notifications from Olark:
- Click on the ellipsis (...) near the top-right corner of the browser, just underneath the close (x) button. From there, you'll want to navigate accordingly: Settings -> Advanced -> Manage Permissions:
- Click on chat.olark.com (our Chat Console) and make sure the toggle is set to ON.
To Remove Olark Notifications in Edge:
Edge notifications can be removed in the same section mentioned above. Click on the ellipsis near the top-right corner of the browser, just underneath the close button. From there, you'll want to navigate to: Settings -> Advanced -> Manage Permissions. You can either toggle notifications OFF, or click on the Clear Permissions button to turn off (or remove) notifications from Olark: